O’Fallon Township High School has announced plans to honor the OTHS Class of 2020 with events culminating in a live-streamed virtual ceremony on graduation day, Saturday, May 30, 2020.
Please refer to the below timeline of graduation events, starting on May 6th and concluding on May 30th, 2020.
CURBSIDE DISTRIBUTION: ACADEMIC STOLES, NHS STOLES, & RUNNING START MEDALLIONS- May 6th, 2020
Academic stoles, NHS stoles and Running Start Medallions will be distributed to eligible seniors in a curbside event scheduled to take place on Wednesday, May 6th. Eligible seniors received an email detailing the curb-side distribution and instructions for the return of stoles. For information pertaining to this event, email Mrs. Tracey Ritzel, Guidance Counselor, at email@example.com.
OTHS HONORS & AWARDS CEREMONY- May 14th, 2020
On Thursday, May 14, 2020, the O’Fallon Township High School Guidance Department will present the Senior Honors and Awards Ceremony virtually at 7:00 p.m. in a live-stream on the OTHS Guidance Department YouTube Channel. A link to the virtual event will be published on the OTHS District 203 website and Facebook page.
The Virtual Honors and Awards Ceremony will recognize seniors in the Class of 2020 for outstanding academic achievement during the 2019-20 school year, including awards and scholarships earned. The event will be hosted by the Principal Rich Bickel and Director of Guidance, Mrs. Tiffany Lugge.
GRADUATE PHOTO OPPORTUNITY - May 18th-May 21st, 2020
During the week of May 18th, OTHS Senior students and two members of their immediate family (parents, guardians, grandparents) over the age of 18 who are staying at home together, are invited to the Smiley campus for a graduate photo opportunity. Students will be allowed to walk across the graduation stage in their cap and gown and have a photo taken. Those family members accompanying the senior will be allowed to hand the diploma cover to their graduate. OTHS will provide a photographer to take pictures documenting this special moment, free of charge. Photographs will be published for personal use, not to be used for the virtual commencement ceremony. To ensure social distancing guidelines, no other photography will be allowed.
See below details regarding specific dates and times for the graduate photo opportunity:
- Monday, May 18th: 9am-12pm reserved for graduates with significant special needs, pre-arranged with the district.
- Tuesday, May 19th-Thursday, May 21st - 9am-3pm all graduates may arrive on a first-come basis. The days below are recommendations for arrival based on student’s last names. We understand the need to be flexible with family schedules so these are recommendations to allow for an efficient processional of seniors, but are not mandatory.
- Tuesday, May 19th: Seniors with last names A-G
- Wednesday, May 20th: Seniors with last names H-N
- Thursday, May 21st: Seniors with last names O-Z
- Per a joint press release from the IDPH and ISBE, the following is prohibited during the Graduate Photo Opportunity:
- There may be no person-to-person contact during the photo opportunity. School officials may not hand students’ diplomas, or any other items, or shake graduates’ hands. Diploma distribution will be announced the week of June 1st.
- Restroom facilities and water fountains will not be available or accessible.
- Graduates and accompanying family members are limited to 5 minutes inside the building.
- Pursuant to current guidance from the CDC, any gathering of more than ten people is prohibited unless exempted by Executive Order 2020-32 therefore the limit of 3 people, including the graduate, will be strictly enforced, no exceptions.
Directions for arriving on campus May 18th-May 21st, 2020
Graduates and accompanying family members should arrive in one car.
Please enter the parking lot from Weber Street and remain in your car until instructed otherwise.
A member of the OTHS security staff will be there to direct you to one of two staging locations:
- Stage 1) Dome Entrance
- Stage 2) Walk of Fame Entrance.
There will be two marked unloading zones. The graduate and two family members will exit the car to enter the building at the marked zone. Entrance and exit doors will be marked ‘One Way’.
Once in the building, graduates and family members are limited to 5 minutes for the individual photo, the distribution of diploma cover and family photo.
Anyone outside of their car must wear a mask or face covering. Individual students may remove their masks or face coverings while having their individual photo taken by the district.
OTHS VIRTUAL COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY May 30th, 2020 at 10:00 am
O’Fallon Township High School will live stream a Virtual Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 30th at 10:00 am. This is the same time as the originally scheduled commencement ceremony. Graduates, family members and the OTHS community will be able to watch the event together and cheer on the OTHS Graduating Class of 2020! A link to the live stream will be made available on the OTHS website, as well as the OTHS District 203 Facebook and Instagram pages.
During the planning of this virtual event, OTHS staff in consultation with senior class officers, have developed a virtual ceremony that can be both personal and dignified in honoring the traditions in place at OTHS for our graduates. Speakers include Superintendent Dr. Darcy Benway, Principal Rich Bickel and Senior Class President Braden Gaab, who will deliver the Commencement Address.
An informational email dated May 1st was sent to graduates and their families regarding the submission of graduate photos and videos for the virtual commencement ceremony. That information is also detailed below.
Virtual Commencement Photo Submission
- Select one of the four attached PowerPoint templates.
- Insert a picture of yourself. This picture could be of you in your graduation cap, gown, stoles, honors cords, and/or any other adornment. Or, it could be your senior picture, an athletic picture or any photo that you wish to submit that is most reflective of you and your day.
- PHOTO REQUIREMENTS- must be at least 1MB. Always select "Actual Size" if sending a photo via email.
- Type your name on the slide as you wish to have it displayed in the presentation of graduates.
- First Name, Last Name
- First, Middle, Last.
- You may also include a favorite quote or message from a parent, grandparent or loved one. Or you can leave that portion blank.
- Save the template as your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, May 10th
*Students who do not submit a personal photo will have their senior yearbook photo displayed.
Tassel Turn & Cap Toss Video Submission
One of the most treasured graduation traditions at OTHS is the cap toss. We still want to see those caps fly in the air! Once again, we need your help to make this possible.
Students, please submit a 5-10 second VIDEO of both your tassel turn (from right to left) and cap toss. Submit a separate video for each. One video for the tassel turn and one video for the cap toss.
- All submissions will be used for a gallery video at the end of the virtual commencement ceremony. Video submissions may also be sent to email@example.com by Sunday, May 10th.
DIPLOMA DISTRIBUTION & STOLE RETURN- Week of June 1st, 2020
Diplomas will be distributed to eligible seniors the week of June 1st. Senior students with Academic and NHS Stoles may return their stoles in exchange for their diploma during that distribution. Information will be sent to seniors closer to the week of June 1st.
CLASS OF 2020 COMMUNITY CELEBRATION & SURPRISES- Graduation Week
O’Fallon Township High School and the community of O’Fallon are planning to honor the Class of 2020 with several planned events during graduation week. Stay tuned by continuing to monitor the OTHS website and social media pages for updates.
We are all in this together- Panther Safe! Panther Strong!