OTHS is requesting your partnership in addressing teen vaping. Educators are diligently working to guide our students toward healthy choices. Unfortunately, your children are being targeted by companies who are profiting by their addiction. Vaping was originally marketed as a "safe" alternative to smoking. Only recently are the dangers of vaping becoming known.
- Know the facts on vaping: https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/
- Make the choice to put yourself and your health first.
- Be a leader. Choose to be tobacco and vape-free: https://teen.smokefree.gov/
- Become informed on the dangers of vaping, e-cigarettes, etc. You can use the following resources to gain understanding of the health risks associated with e-cigarette use:
- Talk to your students about the use of tobacco, marijuana, and vaping products. Let your teen know why e-cigarettes, including JUULs, are harmful for them. A parent tip sheet can be found at https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/documents/SGR_ECig_ParentTipSheet_508.pdf
- Engage students in discussions about the dangers of e-cigarette use: http://www.scholastic.com/youthvapingrisks/
- Continue efforts to promote a safe learning environment for students, one that is free from tobacco products and vapor products including e-cigarettes, e-cigars, e-pipes, vape pipes, vape pens, e-hookahs, and hookah pens.