Welcome to the OTHS Homebound Instruction informational page. This page will assist you in navigating through the Homebound process and provide you with Frequently Asked Questions and Forms to complete the Homebound Process.
Homebound Instruction may be provided for students with a medical condition preventing them from participating in classroom instruction due to their inability to attend school in person because they are confined to their home or a healthcare facility during the standard school year.
What is Homebound instruction?
Homebound Instruction is the Most Restrictive educational environment. Homebound Instruction is an out-of-school service for students who may have a documented medical condition preventing them from participating in traditional classroom instruction. However, students are expected to attend school to the fullest extent possible.
Homebound services aim to keep the student current with classroom instruction during the standard school year and facilitate the Student's return to the current classroom setting. Homebound instruction is not intended to replace school services and is, by design, temporary. It is not a remediation service that gives students time to make up previously missed assignments. For students expected to be out of school for more than nine weeks, a homebound transition plan specifying steps planned to return the Student to classroom instruction may be required.
Who qualifies for homebound instruction?
A student may qualify for Homebound Instruction if they have a documented medical condition or diagnosis from a licensed medical doctor or physiatrist that restricts them from attending school, and they must be instructed at home or in the hospital for two or more consecutive weeks.
How Can I initiate the Process for my Student?
To establish eligibility for Homebound Instruction, the parent or guardian must submit to the child's school district of residence a written statement from a physician licensed to practice medicine in all of its branches stating the existence of such medical condition, the impact on the child's ability to participate in education, and the anticipated duration or nature of the child's absence from school.
Homebound Instruction will be approved upon receipt of a written physician's statement and the completed Homebound application and District Medical Form. Homebound Instruction shall begin no later than five school days after all documents have been submit and approved.
Roles and Responsibilities: Homebound Instructor
- Serves as the liaison between home and school
- Provides 5 hours of instruction weekly
- When scheduling sessions, homebound teachers take into consideration parent or guardian requests, but not all requests can be accommodated
- Homebound services can be provided virtually or in-person
- Provide students with quality instruction and support
- Homebound Instructor will ensure assignments are turned in to classroom teachers upon completion
Roles and Responsibilities: Parents and/or Guardians
- Collaborate with homebound teachers to schedule days, times, and locations for sessions.
- Notify the tutor 24 hours in advance if the parent/guardian needs to cancel a session.
- Inform the school homebound/home-based coordinator if the Student's situation changes.
- Work with the school staff to obtain assignments for courses not supported by homebound instruction and return completed work to the school.
- Ensure the Student is ready for instruction at the time agreed upon
Roles and Responsibilities: Student
- Be prepared with materials for the instructional period at the scheduled times
- Participate actively during instruction
- Communicate clearly with the instructor, parent, and school if applicable
- Complete assignments during the allotted time frame
- Complete coursework outside of the time scheduled with a Homebound Teacher
- Seek help or clarification when needed and as soon as possible
Students receiving instruction via Homebound are not permitted to participate in extracurricular activities, such as sporting events, clubs, school dances, etc, for the duration of their homebound placement.
Please send all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org